Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Working with a Wraith

I was working in a shop. I couldn't tell you what kind of shop it was, because that seemed to change every five minutes. At the beginning of the dream it was a fast food establishment. At the end it was an electronics store. I don't even remember what it was in between those two things. But no matter what the shop sold at any given point, I was working there.

At the start of the dream, I was working a night shift with some buddies of mine. We had no patrons at the time, so I was slumped against a wall, trying not to fall asleep. My mom came in and told me that if I was so tired, I should just go home. Forget about the job. Quit, if that's what it would take to get me out of there. She didn't want me working that job anyway. I don't know why she wanted me home so bad, but I didn't listen to her. I told her to go home. I was fine. And I'd see her when my shift was over. I should have listened to her.

Flash forward to the next scene in the dream, when I was once again in the shop. I knew everyone who worked there (was even dating one of the guys), so we were all hanging out and chatting between customers. I can't remember how it happened, but we discovered that the shop had a ghost - one that didn't seem to like us too much. He couldn't physically harm us, but he'd been around long enough to know how to get to us emotionally and psychologically. One of the guys got so angry that he started to beat the ghost up. The weird thing about this ghost was you could actually land a punch on him, even though he couldn't do the same to you. I didn't like the idea of the guys in the shop beating up a defenseless victim, no matter how cruel he was being with his words, so I got them to leave him alone (for now).

Days passed, and the ghost seemed to be intent on taunting the guys until they had to be pulled off of him. One day my boyfriend was alone in the shop. The ghost appeared and started to convince him that I didn't love him, that we didn't have a future together. My boyfriend went into a blind rage and started to beat the pulp out of the ghost. Slowly, the ghost began to grow more solid beneath his fist, but he didn't notice. Then the ghost took full physical form and knocked my boyfriend off of him, easily taking control of the situation. He taunted my boyfriend once more, this time saying things like "I'm going to wait for your girlfriend to come back and, when she does, she'll be mine" and "You were the one who made this possible, you know. Every time someone punched or kicked me I was able to work on regenerating into my human state. Your fury helped me to walk the earth once more." My boyfriend was devastated. In an effort to "protect me" he'd brought me so much closer to harm.

Somehow, the guys were able to learn that the ghost was not so much a ghost at all. Rather, he was some sort of magical being who had been trapped on another plane through the use of a film camera. Every time someone laid a hand on him, it was like laying a hand on the filament of the photograph that kept him trapped. My boyfriend came to my house and told me everything that happened while I had been out of the shop. We started to search for a film camera, but all we had were digital ones. Finally, we found a Polaroid camera. We hoped it might do the trick without the time needed to develop film. We got in the car and were on our way to the shop - and that's when my alarm rang and I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment