Wednesday, June 15, 2016

"Helping" Out Backstage

I was supposed to be helping out backstage with a collegiate performance of some play, held in a high school's theatre. I went to take a shower three hours before the event, but the only shower working in my house was my parents' shower and they had a bunch of guests sitting in their room. These guests, for whatever reason, had made it their mission to keep me from showering. There was a weird situation with the door to the bathroom where instead on being a normal door on hinges (as it is in real life) it was three layers of door pieces mounted on tracks in the ceiling. So I had to align all of the pieces properly or someone would be able to watch me undress for my shower. Every time I got the door to work, someone would come over and bump it. I would not allow these people to see me naked, so I eventually gave up on the idea of showering.

Suddenly, the room I'd been standing in became a backstage dressing area at the theatre. We were only a few minutes to curtain. I just needed to change into my black clothing (worn by technicians so as to be less visible to the audience), pee, and go figure out what I was supposed to be doing. I'd been given my position title (which I can't remember for the life of me now, but I know it was not something that exists in real life) but I had no idea what it meant. I asked one of the techs by the changing area if they knew what I was supposed to be doing and they told me to go find Angela (name changed because she was actually a tech goddess at my college, so it seemed totally rational to me that she would help out with this college's production now that she no longer had to do every one of our college's productions) after I'd finished changing and she'd explain my role to me.

For some reason, I left the stage right backstage area I'd been in and went searching for a door to the stage left side of the backstage area. I followed infrequent signs up and down stairs, through corridors full of doors that may or may not have been the one I was looking for, and past many actors and technicians who wouldn't pay attention to me long enough to help me out. I finally found my way back to the stage right door and gave up on whatever I'd been trying to do so I could change my clothes. By this point, the performance was well under way.

There were plenty of black articles of clothing lying around in the dressing area, but I couldn't find mine where I thought I'd left them. After digging thru my bag and the pile beside it in search of something suitable, I threw on a short black dress of mine and prayed that I wouldn't get yelled at for not having something black to cover my legs. I finally went on a search for Angela. By this point, we were at intermission. (I guess whatever I was supposed to be doing backstage wasn't integral to the show.) Instead of Angela, I found another girl I'd known at college who seemed to be training new techies, so I checked in with her. Instead of talking tech with me, she started throwing masked insults my way. (I always suspected she didn't like me when we we in the same circles at school and in the dream I'd apparently started dating a boyfriend of hers not long after they'd broken up, which is pretty not cool, so I deserved some of it.) At this point, my bladder decided to remind me that I still hadn't found a bathroom and sill really needed to pee - and I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment